Have you been uncomfortable by the appearance of warts on your hands or feet, or other parts of your body? You probably have no idea where they came from, or even how you got them, but you want them treated as quickly as possible. The great news is that Dr. Steve Musick, and his team of highly skilled dermatology professionals are here to help you.
WHAT ARE WARTS?
Warts are non-cancerous growths on the skin, and are caused by a virus called human papilloma virus (HPV). These viruses are contagious, and can spread with direct contact. Warts may either be flat and resemble the normal color of your skin, and can also be black, brown or grayish-black. Warts may also present as raised bumps that feel rough.
TYPES OF WARTS
Most warts appear on the fingers or the bottom of your feet. They my also appear on the back of the hands and around your nails.
- Common warts, which often appear on your fingers
- Plantar warts, which show up on the soles of your feet.
- Genital warts, which are a sexually transmitted disease. In females, these warts may lead to cervical cancer
- Flat warts, which often appear in places you shave frequently. These warts usually appear on the face, arms or thighs.
- Filiform warts grow around your nose, chin and mouth and can sometimes appear under your chin. They are usually smaller in size and appear as skin tags or flaps of skin.
- Periungual warts appear under the fingernails and around the nailbeds. These warts can be uncomfortable and can inhibit the growth of your nails.
TREATMENT FOR WARTS
Many times, warts go away on their own. However, if the appear to multiply or cause discomfort, you should have Dr. Musick evaluate your condition for further treatment.
Dr. Musick can treat your warts with the following modalities: cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen, laser treatments, salicylic acid paste, injection or application of medication that causes your immune system to attack the wart virus.
Dr. Steve Musick is a Board-Certified Dermatologist by The American Board of Dermatology and treats all types of skin conditions in the Swansea, IL and St. Louis metropolitan area. There are numerous treatments that Dr. Musick and his team can perform, and it is best to make an appointment for proper evaluation for your warts and any other skin condition.
To make an appointment, call Musick Dermatology in Swansea, IL today at 618-628-2588. We accept most health insurance programs.