SRT: Superficial Radiation Therapy
What is SRT?
- Musick Dermatology is proud to offer Image-Guided Superficial Radiotherapy (IG-SRT), which is called SRT for short. SRT can deliver precise doses of radiation into the skin by effectively targeting tissue only within approximately 3 millimeters of the skin’s surface.
- SRT is an alternative to invasive surgery, such as the MOHS Surgery, to destroy non-melanoma Skin Cancers and keloids with a 99.3% cure rate !!
- SRT uses low energies and doses of radiation to treat Squamous Cell Cancer and Basal Cell Cancer just below the skin surface.
- Due to the low energies (kilovoltage), skin reactions are typically mild and very small.
- Traditional radiation is the opposite, in which it delivers massive amounts of energy (megavoltage) that penetrate deep into the body which can cause more skin reactions.
Candidates of SRT
- SRT is a great option for those who DO NOT WANT SURGERY, or are poor candidates for surgery due to health reasons.
- SRT is an impressive option for patients with Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCCs) and Squamous Cell Carcinomas (SCCs).
- SRT is an excellent choice for those who want to stay active and have no downtime.
- SRT has great potential for treating patients whose cancer exists in areas that are difficult to access for surgical removal.
Lesions Deeper Than 2.5mm Need To Be Debulked For Ultrasound. WD SCC of The Right Lateral Forehead
The SRT-100™ offers a wide range of treatment applicators.
Skin Cancer Applicator Set – 1.5 cm, 2 cm, 2.5 cm, 3 cm, 4 cm, 5 cm diameter at 15 cm SSD
Keloids Applicator Set – 7.3 cm diameter at 15 cm SSD & 10 cm, 12.7 cm diameter at 25 cm SSD, 18×8 at 30cm SSD
Safety Block — Safety X-Ray Port Block
Ease of use — Turn & Lock
Automatic Applicator Sensing and Display
Treatment, Follow up and Results
- SRT Treatments generally take about 10-15 minutes, after the first visit (simulation) which can take up to 45 minutes.
- The number of SRT Treatments can vary, averaging 3 treatments a week, for about 7 weeks to complete therapy.
- 2 weeks following the last treatment the patient will come in to the SRT room for a final ultrasound. This depth measurements will be highly decreased when compared to the simulation day.
- Dr. Musick will see the patient for a skin check of the treatment area and to answer any patient questions.
- Even though treatments are complete, radiation will continue working for up to four weeks after the patient’s last day.
- SRT offers 95% or greater cure rate of BCC and SCC.
- If the patient experiences a reoccurrence in the same area, they may not be treated with radiation again.
Why Choose SRT?
SRT offers a wide range of benefits versus traditional skin cancer treatments:
- One of which SRT has the same cure rate (99.3%) as Mohs Surgery
- Secondly, No surgery, means no cutting which eliminates the risk of infections or complications following surgical interventions, as well as the need for anesthesia, stitches, scars, downtime, or painful recovery.
- Finally, an incredibly effective treatment option, in the hands of a board certified Radiation Therapist, and board certified Medical Doctor.
- Same cure rate a Mohs
- No Downtime
- No Scarring
- No Cutting
- In the hands of a board certified Radiation Therapist
- Great for areas that do not heal well