If you look like you always have a sunburned face, you may have a skin condition called rosacea. You’re not alone, as many famous people including former President Clinton, Diana Princess of Wales, W.C. Fields and many others share this same condition. Dr. Steve Musick, and his team of highly skilled dermatology professionals are here to help you.
WHAT IS ROSACEA?
Rosacea, is an incurable inflammatory skin condition that appears on your face, mainly the forehead, cheeks, chin, and the lower half of the nose. It may present as increased redness, visible red veins and bumps which may resemble acne. Rosacea usually appears on adults over the age of 30. It may also appear around the eyelids where is can cause soreness and burning or styes.
There is no defined cause for rosacea, and it is more common in people with lighter skin color. Rosacea is not an infection caused by bacteria. It can be worsened by sun exposure.
Don’t let rosacea diminish the way you feel about yourself in social situations. Dr. Steve Musick is here to help you treat this skin condition and increase your confidence.
SYMPTOMS OF ROSACEA
- Sunburn appearance on the face with swollen red blood vessels
- Skin that becomes thicker with a coarse texture
- Swelling, dry and irritated skin around the eyelids
- Skin breakouts resembling the pimples of acne
- It is extremely important that you minimize your direct sun exposure and use a minimum of SPF 30 or higher on your face every day.
- Use a mild cleanser when washing your face using lukewarm or cooler water and apply using only your fingertips. Avoid using a coarse face towel.
- A series of laser and light-based treatments may be effective to minimize the redness and appearance of blood vessels. Do not allow untrained professionals to perform laser procedures as severe burns and scarring may occur.
- Topically applied or oral prescription medications often significantly improve rosacea.
Dr. Steve Musick and his team are highly trained in the use of lasers and light-based therapy and the overall management of rosacea and they look forward to evaluating you to determine the next steps in your treatment.
Dr. Steve Musick is a Board-Certified Dermatologist by The American Board of Dermatology and treats all types of skin conditions in the Swansea, IL and St. Louis metropolitan area. There are numerous treatments that Dr. Musick and his team can perform, and it is best to make an appointment for proper evaluation of any skin condition.
To make an appointment, call Musick Dermatology & Advanced Clinical Spa in Swansea, IL today at 618-628-2588. We accept most health insurance programs.